Trump reinstates broad ban on transgender troops
Allows limited exceptions that Pentagon says won’t damage readiness or unit cohesion
By
Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Friday, March 23, 2018
President
Trump moved late Friday to exclude most transgender persons from signing up for the U.S. military, after his defense and homeland security chiefs said they were worried about the armed forces’ ability to handle the different challenges the troops would bring.
The decision replaces
Mr. Trump’s earlier ban, announced last summer, with a more thoroughly justified and somewhat tailored approach.
The White House announced the policy even as the Justice Department submitted it to a federal court, which had been hearing a lawsuit challenging the original ban.
“The Department of Defense concludes that there are substantial risks associated with allowing the accession and retention of individuals with a history or diagnosis of gender dysphoria and require, or have already undertaken, a course of treatment to change their gender,” Secretary of Defense James Mattis said in a February memo, submitted to the court.
“I firmly believe that compelling behavioral health reasons require the department to proceed with caution before compounding the significant challenges inherent in treating gender dysphoria with the unique, highly stressful circumstances of military training and combat operations,” he wrote, warning of problems with “unit cohesion” otherwise.
---------------------------------
A Common Sense within a common sense.
Will pass any test, judicial or constitutional.
Well, at least in my book.
Good Luck Donnie!
Cheers,